Thursday, June 01, 2006

Helping the customer save face

When I’m in this contracted state, I lose my natural graciousness. This black teenaged guy (whom I probably should have carded) had already been embarrassed by not having enough for his Phillie Blunt cigar. Then I aggravated his embarrassment my not letting him take the 8 cents out of the penny jar.

I think that, in addition to my own state, I was hewing to the company line with my boss behind me. He has already said that he doesn’t leave the penny tray out for this exact reason.

I was glad that I talked the thing out with my boss, because he then came from his empathic human place, rather than his irascible customer-bashing side. He said that he usually has that kind of change in his pocket and would hook the kid up – very cool.

I could/should have at least softened it for that teen-aged customer by saying the price had just gone up (he did have the old price). But I was too tight to flex like that – I was all business. What a blessing he came back with the money! I was able then to be lots more warm to him, glad he got his Blunt and telling him that I felt bad about sending him away without it.

No comments: