Wednesday, May 04, 2011

Diamonds on the soles of their shoes

I think that tonight i came up with a juicy strategy for staying in a centered, present moment state at work.

I was telling a friend how much I want - starting with tomorrow morning's shift - to find that flowing, peaceful state while I'm running the cash register. I knew what it looks like to be in that state, but at first had no clue as to how more to get there. Then out of nowhere a method presented itself: "I want to like them." Yep, I want to practice - as much as possible - liking each person as they come through my line. This focus outside of me can, I think (we'll see), pull me out of my self-preoccupation and get me to show up in the moment.

Then my friend made a suggestion that made this strategy more concrete and tangible and specific - that I think will make it easier to operationalize. She suggested I see my customers as having diamonds on them. Appreciating and liking them can be like harvesting the diamonds that they are wearing from the soles of their shoes to the top of their heads.

I can hardly wait to try this tomorrow.

No comments: